Welcome to the London Soto Zen Group website – Affiliated with the International Zen Association
The London zen group meets regularly to practise zazen – the core practice in the Soto Zen tradition.
The heart of our practice is silent, seated, selfless, object-less meditation (Zazen), awakening to our original condition. Soto Zen offers a quiet, disciplined practice that enables us to express our inherent wisdom and composure. It encourages practitioners to pay attention to the workings of their own minds and, through the unfolding of selflessness, expand their inherent qualities of generosity, patience, kindness, perseverance, and wisdom.
Newcomers, beginners, experienced and inexperienced, of any gender, sex, race, faith, or orientation may join in and participate. Why not come for an introduction?
19 July – We are RE-OPENING!
While we will CONTINUE to live stream zazen – you can now join us AT THE DOJO!
- Have had 2 vaccines (or can demonstrate a negative test in the past 48 hours)
- Will wear a face covering except when sitting in zazen
- Have no covid symptoms
You can join us at the Caledonian Road dojo!
If not.. you can still join us online.. see full details by following the below link:
NOTE: THURSDAY MORNINGS 7AM – Will continue online only!
ALL INTRODUCTIONS SHOULD BE IN PERSON – AT THE DOJO – (If you need to have an online introduction, please contact us, and we’ll arrange to have an online introduction at a different time)
If you will be joining us online rather than in person – these are the details:
Log Link for Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/344964756?pwd=OUxRQWcwU1ltQzh5SXk4TDdObXFjQT09
Click the link above or enter Meeting ID: 344 964 756 Passcode: 987654321
Our Weekly Schedule:
Do you have 2 vaccines and a face covering? COME TO THE DOJO! (except on Thursday mornings) Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of zazen.
- Weekdays (M-F): 6:55am – 8:15am
- THURSDAY MORNINGS: ONLINE ONLY
- Sundays: 8:55am – 10:20am (coffee/tea/chat follows)
- Introductions start at 6pm (at the dojo !)
- Zazen 6:30-7:30pm
- Dharma study/discussion group 7:45-9:00pm
- Introductions start at 6:50pm (at the dojo !)
- Zazen 7:30pm t0 8:40pm
- Kanji/Calligraphy Class with Martin – We are no longer holding this class online – please Contact us for information on how to join.
- Kesa/Rakusu sewing with Lana – Sunday afternoons at 2pm
- Please remember – Introductions can only be done online if an advanced arrangement is made with us.
This comes to over £850/month :-/
Please help out the dojo if you are able by dropping some money in our virtual dana box after zazen.
or consider a monthly contribution.
CHANT SHEET DOWNLOADS
- Our Standard Sheet: (including Hannya Shingyo, Shiguseiganmon)
- OUR BIG FOLDING SUTRA SHEET – which includes the Paitrarchs, Maitrarchs, Hannya Shingyo, Sandokai, Hokkyo Zanmai and Daihi Shin Darani
- Ekos (or dedications) here: (with translations) – including the Eko of the Paitrarchs – which we often chant on Sundays
- Eko of the Matriarchs – Women Ancestors
- Sandokai – Sikito Kisen’s ‘Harmony of Difference and Sameness’ – which we often chant on Sundays
- Hokkyo Zanmai – Tōzan Ryōkai‘s ‘Song of the Jeweled Mirror Samadhi’ – Also a Sunday Chant
- Daihi Shin Daharni – We chant for memorial services and other times.
- Kesa Sutra (Takkesa ge) – The robe verse, which we chant each morning
Please sign up for the mailing list to be notified immediately of any last-minute or scheduling changes